Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Tasting - Latitud 42

 Name: Latitud 42

Variety: Blended Wine (90% Tempranillo, 10% Grenache)

Region: Eastern Rioja

Country: Spain

Year: 2018

Price: $14.99

Winery Review: Latitud 42 Rioja Crianza - This Rioja is aged twelve months in barrel and twelve months in bottle prior to release. It has elegant notes of black cherry with hints of spice and mineral overtones. Served in a 750 mL bottle. Latitud 42 Rioja Crianza | Total Wine & More

Wine Folly: Page 416: Tempranillo is typically grown and harvested in Rioja and Ribera del Duero. Furthermore, the most affordable examples of Tempranillo are "typically not oaked or aged for very long, producing a fresher and juicer wine with distinct meaty notes." Although I did not get the meaty tones, I was able to taste the freshness. This specific wine aged in a barrel for one year, but fine Tempranillo wines "age 20+ years." 

My Review: When I was smelling the wine, I got hints of black cherry, black pepper, and mushroom. After I tried the wine, I tasted mostly cherry with an oaky finish. It has a medium body. The wine is not acidic, but the finish is very tannic. It has a small burning sensation after the wine leaves my mouth and travels down my throat. However, the wine is quite pleasant while in the mouth. The reviews online suggested to decant the wine before tasting. The next time I try this wine, I will decant the wine before tasting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Menage a Trois

Name:   Menage a Trois Variety:  Sweet Wine Blend (Grapes Not Specified) Region:  St. Helena, California Country:  United States Year: Not o...