Sunday, February 13, 2022

Tasting - Winking Owl Merlot


 

Name:
 Winking Owl Merlot

Variety: Varietal Wine

Region: Modesto, California

Country: United States

Year: Not on bottle

Price: $2.95

Winery Review: California - Merlot - 12% ABV - The Merlot wine from Winking Owl has subtle flavors of black cherry, mixed berries, and a hint of vanilla. This medium bodied, dry red wine pairs well with steak, pork, and pasta.



Wine Folly: Page 331: Merlot is discussed to have boisterous black cherry flavors, supple tannins, and a smoky finish. Furthermore, Merlot pairs well with roasted foods. I did not pair this Merlot with food, so in the future I will make sure to try it out. I think that this wine was overwhelming, so some food would make it more balanced.

My Review: This wine was far drier than the Cabernet Sauvignon. I was able to taste the black cherries over the other flavors in the wine. I was not able to taste the vanilla, but rather hints of oak. The mixed berries also entered my palette after a few sips of the wine. I enjoyed the wine overall, but I don't think that I would purchase this exact type again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Menage a Trois

Name:   Menage a Trois Variety:  Sweet Wine Blend (Grapes Not Specified) Region:  St. Helena, California Country:  United States Year: Not o...