Sunday, February 20, 2022

Wine and Cheese Pairing

On Thursday night, I invited three friends over to my apartment for a wine and cheese night. Four different cheeses and three different wines were tested together. The wine and cheese types are listed below. 

Wines:
  • La Marca Prosecco
  • Martín Códax Albariño
  • Gabbiano Cavaliere D'oro Chianti
Cheeses:
  • Vermont Sharp White
  • Gouda
  • Cheddar Jack
  • Havarti


The first wine that we tasted as a group was Prosecco. The prosecco was gifted to my friend Caroline, so we had to look the price of the wine up on the internet. This sparkling wine goes for 10 dollars. It has hints of apple, lemon, and pear when swirling and smelling the wine. When I tasted the wine, it was dominated by apple and pear flavors. I also described it as acidic, and light bodied. I paired the prosecco with Havarti cheese, but the pairing did not work well. The wine got more bitter and acidic after eating the cheese. Wine Folly (Page 370) describes Prosecco as creamy, with hints of green apple and pear. 


The delicate La Marca Prosecco has a pale, golden straw color and sparkles with lively effervescence. Opening with aromas of fresh-picked citrus and honeysuckle blossoms, the crisp, clean palate brings fruity flavors of green apple, juicy peach and ripe lemon, framed by hints of minerality. The finish is light and refreshing with a tantalizing hint of sweetness.



The second wine that I tasted was the Albariño. This wine was harvested in 2020 from Spain, and it sells for 14 dollars. After swirling the wine, I was able to smell passion fruit, citrus, and earthy scents. I was only able to taste the passion fruit and citrus flavors. This wine is light bodied, and it was paired with the Vermont sharp white cheese. I believe that the cheese made the wine more balanced yet sweeter. I enjoyed the wine, and I would pair this cheese with this wine again. Wine Folly (Page 200) describes Albariño as having hints of grapefruit, lemon, and honeydew. 


Martín Códax Rías Baixas Albariño is delicate and medium-bodied with a crisp, dry finish. On the palate, flavors of pear, passion fruit, ripe apple, peach and lemon zest are framed by bright minerality and hints of spice.



The last wine that I tasted was the Chianti. This wine was created in 2019 from Italy, and it sells for 10 dollars. After swirling the wine, I was able to smell black berry, earthy, and oaky scents. I was able to taste the blackberry flavors once we popped the corks off. This wine was paired with the gouda cheese, but the pairing did not end up working well. The wine tasted more acidic and rotten after eating the cheese. I did not enjoy the wine or the cheese after pairing them together, so now I know to stay away from this pair. Wine Folly (Page 597) describes Chianti as very tannic and acidic. 


A balanced bouquet of wild red berries and floral violet notes. This Chianti has a mélange of dryness and great freshness, with soft tannins and a medium body. The lingering finish of berries on the palate is pleasant and smooth.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Menage a Trois

Name:   Menage a Trois Variety:  Sweet Wine Blend (Grapes Not Specified) Region:  St. Helena, California Country:  United States Year: Not o...